There is a popular brand that makes beef stroganoff, but they don’t have nothing on me. This beef stroganoff is fantastic! It is easy to make, and something that the whole family can love.
Everything I used to cook came from a box, can or package. I didn’t realize as a young adult that all of these packaged and processed foods, I bought could actually be made instead of bought. I know, that sounds extremely stupid, but I was raised on these kind of foods. I didn’t know any other way. I didn’t know that homemade food like beef stroganoff was better than the store bought stuff. I sure wish I did. Not to mention all of the bad ingredients that have been inserted into our food. Making homemade food is a great way to insure quality healthy ingredients!
How I learned to cook from scratch
That is a huge confession to make! I am sure the internet will eat that up! So how did I get started making my own food from scratch? I worked in fast food, and then I moved to bakeries and delis. I got to help make food in these jobs, and I asked the chefs a lot of silly questions. Which they happily answered. I think they loved that I love food so much, and I was truly interested in what they were cooking and how they did it.
I also learned to go to the store, and look at the box of food that I was used to eating and I took note of the ingredients. I would buy the ingredients, armed with knowledge from the commercial kitchen and I got started. That was over ten years ago. Everyone has to start somewhere. Right?
Cooking for three boys…
Now I am cooking for my three boys who are 7, 10, and 12, not to mention my husband! When you cook for all boys the food must be good, quick, and cheap. Quick because they are always hungry, cheap because boys eat you out of the home, and good because they expect yummy food every time!
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. Cook/prepare/care for food properly!
- 16 oz package Egg Noodles (I like this brand, but I would not pay this price. I just wanted to show you what I use.)
- 1 Onion, I like to use yellow but you can also use white
- 16oz Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ground beef
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce (This is the brand I use)
- 2 cups beef broth (I like Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch ( I use this one because it is usually the cheapest one on the shelf)
- Salt and Pepper (This is a great salt and pepper set, I love it!) to taste
- Follow directions on package to cook egg noodles. Or make your own if you are that savvy!
- Brown ground beef and onion, and mushrooms in a large skillet.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When beef and onion are done cooking sprinkle corn starch in mixture and stir until mixed in well.
- Slowly stir in the beef broth.
- Continuously stir until sauce has thickened.
- Add noodles to beef and onion mixture. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers.
I sure hope that you enjoy this recipe. I hope you enjoy my huge confession that I made in this post too. Do you have a confession about your cooking?
Are you looking for other meaty recipes?
Check out this awesome recipe from Blue Yonder Urban Farms – Slow Cooker, Pork Carnitas
How about this Mini Meatball Casserole from Ree Drummond the Pioneer Woman?
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂
I participated in the Homesteader Hop