Let the gardening begin! I have some seedlings started, and all I had to mark them with was popsicle sticks and a permanent marker. It was not very pretty. I always wanted to have pretty garden markers, so I decided to make my own. Not only did I figure out a gorgeous way to DIY Garden Markers, but I did it for cheap! Follow along with me and I will share where I got my supplies for cheap and how I made them.
First, you may need to go shopping to pick up a couple of items. I got almost everything I needed from the Dollar Tree. The beautiful baker’s twine you see in the photo, yep that’s from DT! I have used that twine for many of my projects. It’s a personal favorite. If you can’t find this twine you can substitute with regular twine. Check out more Dollar Tree gardening supplies, I made a list!
Get these Free Gardening Printables, when you sign up for our weekly newsletter!
The glass gems are also from DT. Also, you need some Modge Podge. I have found small bottles of modge podge at DT before, but most of the time I cannot find them there, so you may need to pick them up elsewhere. You will need a sponge paint brush, which you can find a pack of at DT usually. Each Dollar Tree’s inventory is different so they may or may not carry the items for this craft.
The last thing you will need is my Free Printable Garden Markers. Get the Free Printable Garden Markers, by subscribing to my weekly newsletter. Make sure to confirm your subscription to get your free printables!
- You should be able to download immediately after signing up. If not, use the contact page to email me about the problem.
- You won’t be sorry. This download includes many popular food items and a whole sheet just for HERBS, and even a blank sheet for you to write in your own if you like!
- You not only will get our Garden Marker free printable but you will also get access to our 8 other free printables! Including, the Garden Notebook, The Bug Out Bag List, The Menu Planners, and The Hurricane Checklist…
DIY Garden Markers
- Modge Podge – gloss or matte will work
- Free Printables – When you sign up!
- Sticks, – Find sticks and cut them the length that is most useful to you. You want them at least 3/4 – 1 inch around.
- 1-3 Glass Gems Bags, depending on how many you will make you may need more than one bag. Also, some of these gems have imperfections and will distort the image, so my suggestion is to buy several bags so you can get a good amount of clear gems to work with, or buy them somewhere else perhaps?
- E6000, to glue the glass gems onto the wood. It is capable of gluing glass, and wood together.
- Small Sponge Brush
- Glue Gun – Glue Sticks
Make sure to brush glue on very thinly or the dye on the paper will bleed. I had a problem with the tomato, I tried it 3 times but it bled each time. I will try to fix the problem, in the meantime keep it in mind. I will update if I figure out a solution.
- First, plug in the glue gun, and set it aside somewhere safe away from kids, animals and flammable items. Then, cut out the circles along the dotted lines.
- Brush a very thin coat of glue on the flat part of the gems.
- Lay the circle face down into the glue. Glance on the rounded side and make sure you can see the image and text. The picture will look much clearer after the glue has dried. Now glue on top of the paper, on one side, and again a very thin layer of glue!
- Quickly, put the two sides together. Make sure to line up the pictures.
- For this next couple of steps, make sure you have the twine out and unraveled a bit, and the glue gun hot! Grab one of the sticks, and put a dollop of glue on the end.
- Quickly, set the gems in the glue.
- Hold the glass gem in the glue for a for minute to let it set. Lay it down and don’t disturb it for about a day.
- Next, I added the twine by using a drop of glue from the glue gun, and then wrapped it around and around. Then, glue the end. I usually tried to start and end on the side to help conceal the ugliness of the glue. I also squish the glue down, so that it is not beady. It looks less inconspicuous this way.
Now you get to enjoy all of your hard work. These DIY Garden Markers are a beautiful way to mark your little seeds this spring. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Don’t forget the Free DIY Garden Marker Printable!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂