Are you looking for easy & healthy kid snacks? If you find yourself rolling your eyes at the Pinterest moms who seem to have talents for making these elaborate snacks and lunches so much so that you are pretty sure they must be aliens, well then this post is for you!
Mom you are a busy lady. These days you probably barely have time to breathe much less, shower, crap, or shave. You deserve a big pat on the back first of all!
Store bought cheese crackers = bad idea
I try really hard to give my kids healthy things to eat, but let’s be real, who has time to make snacks Pinterest style? Buying processed/prepackaged snacks like cheese crackers, chips, popcorn, cookies, candy is easy to do, but it is terrible for the health of our children.
It is very easy getting into buying these products. Coupons are easy to find for these items, and you might can buy them at a decent price. I will tell you last year I saw a huge increase in price in the snacks I was buying. Yes, I am guilty of buying this stuff for my children. It took a couple of years to get the unhealthy processed/prepackaged foods out of my house but I did it almost a whole year ago!
The huge price increase did not just happen in the snacks though. Many foods across the board increased dramatically! I had already started to decrease the amount of these foods in my home, but when the prices were jacked up, it became impossible for me to continue to buy them.
Ideas to make buying healthy kid snacks EASY…
Try to find healthier options in the store you shop in currently.
Make a list of healthy items and options before you go
Don’t go to the store hungry!
Talk to your doctor, and do your research before changing your diet. See disclaimer.
No effort healthy kid snacks – hands free for mom
I get most of these from Trader Joe’s (TJ’s). Not everything in the store is healthy but I have found some cheap, and healthy options that the kiddos really love!
- Yogurt- I buy the go yogurt style from TJ’s
- Peanuts – are the cheapest nut usually
- Peanut Butter or use non-nut butters like sunflower butter
- Fresh Fruit – my kids will wash it off and dig in all on their own. Apples, oranges, pears, tomatoes, cherries, berries, plums.
- Any nut – If you can afford more expensive nuts or mixed nuts go for it!
- Sunflower Seeds – These seeds are pretty inexpensive. Just make sure to limit the amount because if you have too much you can get the runs.
- Dried fruit, banana chips are a good cheap and healthy option
- Fruit Rolls – TJ’s has some organic ones!
- Vegetables- If your kids will eat raw veggies, you could let them get a piece of celery, carrots, cucumbers, pickles, broccoli
- Cheese – Just not the American kind…cheese cubes or cheese sticks makes it easy to grab for little or BIG hands. Or buy a block of cheese and slice it up for them.
- Green and/or black olives – If they are in a jar in the fridge the kids should be able to grab them all by themselves
- Applesauce – or Pear Sauce (I make my own)
- Hummus & tortilla chips
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. Cook/prepare/care for food properly!
Minimal effort healthy kid snacks
- Saltine crackers –
with chicken salad, or tuna salad
- Apple with peanut butter
- Banana with peanut butter and honey
- Yogurt with frozen blueberries, bananas, or other fruit
- Melons are great, but they will have to be cut up!
- Avocado, have an adult cut in half, remove pit and give them a spoon!
- Pineapple, has to be cut up
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Deviled eggs
- Smoothie – can be a quick and easy as throw in frozen fruit cold juice, and blend!
- Granola bar
- I make these ahead, and freeze them. They are pretty simple and quick to make.
Cook/prepare/care food properly! Please see disclaimer.
I hope this give you busy mommies some ideas! Slowly stop buying chips and crap. Sure you will miss them, but eventually you will get used to not having to buy them. Plus they are expensive. None of us, I am sure will miss the draining of our wallets or our health!
The better you eat the better you feel.
Determine what is healthy for your family and make baby steps to getting to a healthier way of eating. Don’t feel pressured to change all at once. Try dropping one unhealthy ingredient off of your grocery list every time you go shopping for groceries. If you do not have chips available, it is much harder for you to grab them and eat the whole bag in one sitting (guilty).
Also, remember cheating or as I like to say rewarding, is the best part along with feeling well! I love a good cheat meal though. Every once in awhile, we all do it right?
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂