I had plans to cook up some ribs, I didn’t have any idea on how I was going to cook them up. All I knew was that I was craving some really good ribs. I knew I wanted the meat to fall off of the bone. I had no idea I would come to the conclusion of making homemade barbecue sauce!
Low and Slow
I decided that cooking them in barbecue sauce in the slow cooker was the best idea. The slow cooker is a perfect way to cook meat low and slow and get the meat tender, tasty, and falling off the bone, just how I was craving. Check out my barbecue ribs – slow cooker recipe.
Thinking about how much barbecue sauce I would have to buy, I thought it would be much cheaper to just make my own. It turns out it is pretty simple to do. My boys love this barbecue sauce. I made extra to put into a bottle so we could use it on other foods too!
Homemade Barbecue Sauce – No Sugar Added
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. Cook/prepare/care for food properly!
You can double or triple the recipe as you see fit. Taste it as you go, and add anything you feel it needs.
Prepare/cook/care for food properly. See disclaimer.
- 1 ½ Cups Ketchup, make your own or buy this organic ketchup!
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar, (I use this one)
- 1½ tsp Liquid Smoke, (this one is great)
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder, (for the best value)
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika (for the best value)
- ¼ tsp celery salt, (buy in bulk for the best value)
- ½ tsp Salt
- Hot Sauce * Optional
Some people like to cook their sauce to thicken it. If you wish to do so, you can follow these directions.
- Place ingredients in a medium saucepan, and stir well.
- Cook over medium-high heat until bubbling.
- Simmer on low for 15 -20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened up a bit.
Store your barbecue sauce, however you feel is necessary. Some refrigerate and some don’t. Do some research to figure out what is right for you. The USDA has a PDF on Shelf Stable Food Safety that is a good read. Oregan State Education also has a great PDF that goes into even greater detail and has tables included. Take action at your own risk. See disclaimer.
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Don’t forget to check out SLOW COOKER BARBECUE RIBS!