The story behind kale and basil pesto
I love pesto. I actually started making pesto one day and I did not have enough basil. I had already started though, so I had to figure something out quick! The only other thing I had laying around was some kale. I thought well…here goes nothing! It was awesome! I love kale. So no big surprise that I fell in love with this mixture! My husband loved it too. We have eaten it on pasta, and with tortilla chips! My kale and basil pesto was born.
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. Cook/prepare/care for food properly!
Making pesto is pretty simple, here is the recipe
- 4 Garlic Cloves, *add only two if you don’t like lots of garlic!
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 2.5 cups Fresh Basil, loosely packed
- 2.5 cups Fresh Kale, loosely packed
- 2 oz Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add all of the ingredients (except for oil) into a food processor.
- Add a little bit of the oil, and blend for a few seconds.
- Add a little more oil, and blend a few more seconds.
- Do this until you have added all of the oil, and the mixture has a creamy texture.
- Serve over pasta, with chips and/or cheese.
If you do not grow basil, you will find that using kale will help down the cost or it should. If you grow basil you might not have enough for the whole 5 cups of leaves that the recipe calls for. Especially, if you have a rather small plant of basil.
If you have enough for five whole cups of basil, you can turn this into just simply basil pesto! Just don’t add in the kale. It is very good with kale though I have to say. I will definitely not be going back to using only basil. Thank you for stopping by to see the kale and basil pesto recipe!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂