Every year I have a pear tree that I get the bounty from. Free food right? I love free food! Lots and lots of pears! What to do with this bounty! I make pear pie, I can some, give some away, juice some, and I also make pear butter to pair with some of our breakfast items!
This is what I am currently working on, but I still have so much more to make! I still have lots of pears to work with. The boys devoured an entire jar of Pear Butter this morning they had Pear Butter on my homemade butter biscuits for breakfast this morning! Holy Moly! I will definitely need more!
About the pear butter recipe
It is a pretty simple process. I love to leave out the cinnamon in a couple of batches so that we can just have pear sauce! Mmm! It is even better than applesauce if you ask me! The kids love it too. That is no surprise! I hope your children love it as much as mine do!
Cook/can/prepare/care for food properly! Please see disclaimer.
- 8 lbs. Pears
- 1 cup fresh pear juice if you have it or you can do store bought apple juice or just water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- Peel, core, and remove stems from pears
- Place into a large stock pot, with water/juice, spices and sugar
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, stir and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender
Place them into a blender or food processor, and process for about 20 seconds or until there no big chunks left and it is mixed well.
Place the mixture into a crock pot for about six hours on the low setting
- Then I can my pear butter so that we can enjoy it all year long, and/or give it for gifts! I give them a nice water bath for 10 minutes. If you decide that you want to waterbath can your pear butter, I suggest finding a recipe from a trusted source such as ball. Read up about botulism to understand why it is important to follow strict guidelines when canning!
On my screen it looks a little orange but it is a much darker brown color in person. I think the color would vary depending on which type of pears you use also!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂