This salty southern potato salad recipe us super simple to make! Potato salad is big at holiday parties in my family. Traditionally, my family does not eat potato salad, deviled eggs or other sides with sugar added. We are the salty southerners if you may. Say what you will but ew to the sweet, potato salad!
If you like sweet, potato salad you are in the wrong place. Turn around now! Just kidding. If you want a potato salad recipe that is sweet, you can check out about.com’s Traditional potato salad. This is the salty, dill pickle, slap yo mama it is so good… potato salad. Show up with this simple, yet delicious side for your family or a friend’s dinner party and they will love you and beg for the simple recipe!
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. Cook/prepare/care for food properly!
The recipe in pictures…
You can find the written recipe below the picture recipe.
First step, cook the potatoes!
Second step, cut up the green peppers.
Mash the potatoes, skins and all!
Add the mayo, mustard, green peppers, relish, salt and pepper…
Mix up the potato salad…
Tada! The most tasty potato salad ever!
Salty Southern Potato Salad Recipe
Prepare/cook/care for food properly. See disclaimer.
- 4 lbs. Red or yellow potatoes, cut into wedges. (I like to use any potato that has a soft skin. Russet potatoes have a tough skin that tastes like dirt. Ew!)
- 2 Green bell peppers, diced
- 2- 3 tbsp Mayo
- 2-3 tsp Mustard
- 2-3 tbsp Dill relish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes until soft (about 20 minutes.)
- Drain the potatoes, and allow to cool.
- While waiting for the potatoes to cool, mix all of the other ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, add in the mayo mixture and stir it well. If it is too dry add more mayo! Nobody like dry potato salad. Make sure it is nice and creamy.
- Eat immediately, or refrigerate. Make sure to refrigerate the leftovers too!
Sometimes if I have celery and not bell pepper I will use that instead. You can experiment with different kinds of crunchy veggies if you want to.
This potato salad makes a statement at all the dinner parties I go to. It is a staple at family functions. This is a true traditional salty southern potato salad recipe. I hope you try it and love it. Let me know what you think about it. What do you put in your potato salad?
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂