Are you thinking about getting chickens? Chickens provide much more than just fresh eggs. One of my favorite reason is because they eat bugs. Not just any bugs but usually the most annoying bugs like ants, mosquitoes, ticks, and more!
Reasons to have chickens
- Fresh eggs – Of course. This is the biggest reason why most people want chickens. Not to mention healthy eggs that come from happy and healthy chickens. My chickens lead the happiest lives, and I know that they are healthy. They are not caged, or mistreated.
- Cut down on bugs – before chickens we were over run. We live in a hot climate. We have had problems with ants, and big cockroaches in the house. Which is fairly normal here where we live. Every home deals with these bugs, but since we got chickens the ant problem went away on their own and so did the cockroaches. I had no idea that they would turn a nasty cockroach into a delicious egg. What sorcery is this? The Nourished Kitchen said that their chickens eat scorpions! That is pretty exciting because my son had a scorpion in his shirt and it stung him. Thankfully, we don’t have poisonous scorpions here but it was a scare I wish on NO ONE! They also eat ticks, and mosquitoes and many more!
- Meat – Not just any meat, but meat from healthy chickens that had a good life and fed good food, like bugs. Mm, yum! Make sure you get the right breed that is good for meat! Check out this breed selector tool to help you find the right breed for your needs!
- Eat the weeds – If you have a garden they will totally eat some of it. My chickens devoured my cabbage. Ugg, I was so mad. They will eat some weeds though! Which can be very helpful, especially when you live in the woods like we do.
- Clearing the woods – this kinda goes along with eating the weeds, but they do much more than that! They dig up the ground, scratching and scraping the ground to find bugs. Some of the woods are a little hard to walk through because of all the crap growing everywhere, but the chickens are helping to clear out some of that crap.
- Therapy? – Some people have long used puppies or kittens as companions. I have found that chickens just make me happy. They make my husband happy too. He just loves them. He sent me a message a couple of days ago of baby chicks being sold nearby that he wants to buy. Lol, I love that he loves them too!
- Lessons for kids – The kids will learn where their food comes from. Understanding that food is not something that you buy in the store. It comes from the ground, animals, trees, plants, dirt, roots, leaves!
Affiliate links ahead! See disclaimer. This is a sponsored post by, The Chicken Coop Company. We received free product in exchange for featuring them in our chicken blog posts/videos. This in no way affects the price you pay if you decide to buy from them using our affiliate links! Also, included in the post are Amazon affiliate links. If your chicken/s are sick or you need a professional’s answer to your questions, please take them to a vet. Take action at your own risk. See full disclaimer.
Check Out The Coops at The Chicken Coop Company!
They have a great variety to choose from! I have the Rhode Island Homestead. It has six nesting boxes, and can house up to 15 birds!
- Responsibility for kids – Kids need to learn more about taking care of themselves, others, and animals. If you ask me, many kids these days could use some responsibility.
- Fertilizer – If your chickens are free range, your yard will be getting the benefits of the chicken poop. Also, so will your shoes and your porches lol. I take poop from the coop and put it in the compost. I am making some amazing dirt for my garden!
- Entertainment – They are just so funny. They provide hours of entertainment. Just watching them go after a cricket or big bug is hilarious! They will jump, flap, and run trying to catch a scrumptious, tasty treat!
Have questions? I would love to hear them!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂