Are you thinking of starting a garden soon? There is so much to plan. Let’s start with just the first 5 steps to starting a garden. If we break down starting a garden in easy to do steps maybe it won’t seem like such a daunting task!
The first 5 steps to starting a garden
Affiliate links ahead. I recieved this class for free in exchange for sharing the good word about it. This will not change the price you pay if you decide to buy.
If you are thinking about starting your herb garden with seeds instead of plants, check out this Seed Starting Class first. It’s a very affordable way to learn about growing from seeds. I took the class myself from the Online Gardening School. The instructor Rick has 18 years of gardening experience! He really knows what he is talking about!
Affiliate links ahead! Watch out! See disclaimer.
- Pick a few places that could be potential for a garden.
- Pick a day when you would have time to go outside every 2 hours and note if these spots are sunny, partially shaded, or completely shady. Most things growing during the spring and summer want lots of sun. Winter growing foods require less light and can be in a partially shaded area. Find a good spot yet?
- Look through seed catalogs, think small and realistically. Order only what you know you would actually eat.
- Read lots of books and even blog posts on gardening, if you are a beginner. Especially this one I found very different from the rest but probably most helpful as far as pests go.
- Get a piece of paper and map out the garden area. Then, figure out where everything will go. Keep your records so you can remember what is what and where. Next year you will want to rotate everything, to help minimize pests. An easy way to do this is to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise each year.
There is so much more to do, but these first five steps are not so bad, breaking it down into easy steps is these best way of tackling a big project.
Grab our free Seed Starting Notebook. Just a little thank you for stopping by!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂