Are you looking for a cheap way to fill up a bug out bag? There are so many bug out bag lists out there, with tons and tons of items on them. If you want also check out my Amazon bug out bag list I really wanted to have a couple of complete bags (just in case SHTF.) We really didn’t have enough money to do so. That is where I got the idea for a Dollar Tree bug out bag list.
I remembered that the Dollar Tree sells stuff like bandages, gauze, and twine. I figured that there were many other items to choose from that would help me fill up my bags for now, and they did. I do save up my money to replace low quality items with more trustworthy items.
You get what you pay for…
If you buy a knife for a dollar, guess what? Yep! It is going to be a big piece of crap. Use your best judgement on what to buy cheap and what to skip all together. Below the frugal bug out bag list, I share with you a list of things I refused to buy cheap, and what items I bought instead!
Beside low quality, there are some other items you may want to avoid also. You may have heard some sources saying that some products sold at the Dollar Tree may contain dangerous chemicals.
I can’t tell you if any of this is true or not. I can tell you that I avoid all food products, and I try to avoid anything that could be ingested or absorbed through the skin, such as lotions or medications. Although, I did buy some medicine and creams for skin problems until I could replace them with trusted brands. I also, can’t tell you what you should or should not buy, that would be wrong. I suggest to you that you do your own research, and decide what is best for your family.
Get our Bug Out Bag Checklist, just a thank you for stopping by!
I have thrown together a list of items that can possibly be used for your dollar tree preps. Amounts of the items you buy is totally up to you. How many you will need is dependant on the size of your family, and bag/s. Some family members may need things like special medications. You will want to think of every aspect for your family and add and take away from this list as you see fit!
Dollar Tree Preps Items List
The count size and/or packaging may be different where you are.
- Carabiners – 2ct- do not use for climbing. Great for clipping items on your bag or pants
- Hand sanitizer 3ct – Perfect travel size 1 oz bottles
- Hair ties – For myself I have these in my bag, but not in the boys. I will be happy to have them to tie back my hair if need be!
- Travel brush w/mirror – could use mirror for primping or for signaling.
- Manicure set – not a necessity because you will have a knife, but better to clip a nail than bite them. Also, tweezers may come in handy, and a nail file/emery board has many prepping uses!
- Kleenex travel – to use as toilet paper!
- Dental floss
- Dressing bandage
- Paper tape
- Elastic bandage – for sprained ankles or achy joints
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Face masks
- Rain ponchos
- Small travel size Bible
- Deck of cards
- Travel games for kids – They have some really small lightweight games that would be great for a kid’s bag!
- Safety pins
- Rubber bands
- Small notebook
- Pencil sharpeners – multiple survival uses
- Tin foil – It is not great quality but if you feel you need it in your bag then do it! I don’t carry tin foil in my bags.
- Travel size lotion, soap, shampoo
- Travel sewing kit
There are many items such as, Zip lock bags that I would not buy from Dollar Tree, because the quantity is very low in these boxes most of the time, and not worth the dollar spent. I would instead buy it at a grocery store with coupons! Here are some items from amazon that you can’t buy at the Dollar Tree or I wouldn’t. They are not $1 kind of cheap but they are fairly priced.
Affiliate links ahead! Please see disclaimer.
- P38 & P51 Military can openers
- Smith’s PP1 Knife and tool sharpener TRAVEL size – I have this and I like it!
OR just found this one it looks cool! Smith’s 50408 Pocket Pal X2 Sharpener and Survival Tool
- Emergency Blankets
- Solar flashlights – I have these and love love love them. These have a great price and are very bright.
- Coghlan’s Backpackers Trowel
- Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets
- Compass 5ct
- Coghlan’s Flint Striker or Elk Ridge fire starter
- Kershaw Machete – good price for a great blade
Save money by using stuff around the house
- Dryer Lint – I put a Zip lock bag next to the dryer, and put all of the lint in there and save it. – It is great to use to start a fire!
- Thread & needle
- Wire for snare traps
- Rubber bands
- Safety pins
- Bobby pins
- Paper clips
You cannot always go the cheap route…
These items are so very important to get you to where you are going. Whether you have a destination planned to bug out to, or if you are fleeing the area because of some disaster like a tornado, your bag could possibly help you to survive until you find shelter.
See my Small bug out bag list…
Some individuals will need different items, such as medication. Take action at your own risk. Please see disclaimer.
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂