I’m not sure about where you live, but there are not many veterinarians that treat chickens where we live. I have to rely on my own knowledge, and supplies when something bad happens.
Be ready for all kinds of chicken emergencies, such as wounds, illness, mites, and more.
All Natural Chicken First Aid Kit
Treating Pests on chickens
- Garlic Juice – It’s not just for the pests in the garden! That’s right, garlic juice might just help you control mites and lice. Make a mixture of 1 part garlic juice to 9 parts water.
- Verm-X – de-wormer
- VetRX – Treats, scaly legs, eye worms, and respiratory issues.
- DE aka Diatomaceous Earth – may help with external parasites, such as scaly leg mites, fleas, and lice.
- Cornstarch – Sprinkle on wound to help stop bleeding.
- Green Goo – antibiotic/antifungal salve, perfect for cuts and scrapes.
- Saline Solution – Saline is always helpful when it comes to wounds. Saline can wash wounds, and even eyes!
- Honey – In a pinch you can apply honey to a wound. It’s properties are antibiotic and antifungal.
- Non stick gauze pads
- Waterproof tape
- Syringes for dosing
Chicken Illness -and Weather Related Issues
- Nutri-Drench – this product provides nutrients to sick, weak birds. Can help improve the condition of birds who may be suffering from heat stroke.
- Oregano Oil – I’ve used this myself when I was super sick. It tastes nasty, because it’s super concentrated. I won’t lie. Oregano oil is a very powerful antibiotic. You can add 1/2 tsp to a gallon of water.
- Coconut oil – Protect combs and wattles from the cold.
I really hate to see when my chickens are not feeling well. Call me a sap but I love my chickens. I’m probably too attached. Just the other day I had to get rid of one of my roosters. It was so sad! I never thought in a million years I would get so attached to chickens! Hah! I totally did. I am probably more attached to the baby chicks that we hatched this spring.
Let Me Know What You Think
Are you attached to your chickens like I am? Or do you only see them as a means to an end?
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Feel Free to share on Pinterest!