Most of us know about the most used benefits of aloe vera is natural sunburn relief. However, aloe is an amazing plant that has many more benefits!
In addition, you may already know that the cosmetic, pharmaceutical and even the food industries use this fantastic plant.
For one thing, it contains around 75 active ingredients, including vitamins A, C, E, B12, and choline.
I should note, some people have bad reactions to using aloe vera externally or internally. If you’re allergic to aloe vera, don’t use it!
Creative Uses For Aloe Vera
Preserving Aloe Vera
Of course, there are several different ways to preserve fresh aloe vera. The freezing method is one of the best ways to preserve aloe. This method preserves it indefinitely.
- Freeze whole leaves – place whole leaves in the freezer.
- Chop leaves into cubes, place them into ice trays and freeze.
- Squeeze aloe gel into ice trays and freeze.
Don’t heat to defrost. Instead, leave it out at room temperature.
Moreover, you can use frozen gel cubes directly on a sunburn, no defrosting necessary.
Preserving Aloe With Refrigeration
Freezing might be the best method for preserving if you don’t plan to use the aloe for a while. However, refrigeration might be a good option too. Refrigerating aloe vera gel will help it keep for up to a week. After cutting a leaf, let it sit at room temperature for about a week. Or perhaps until it develops a scab over the open wound, then you can store whole leaves in the fridge.
Are you growing your own aloe vera? Learn How To Propagate Aloe Vera
Benefits of Aloe Vera on Skin
Aloe has been found to reduce the redness of skin. (17)
Aloe Vera has the ability to increase the production of collagen. 11
Benefits of Aloe Vera
This has not been evaluated by the FDA to my knowledge and is not meant to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any diseases or disorders.
- Reducing Dental Plaque – Studies have shown to work, just as well as some store-bought mouthwashes.
- Hair loss – People might find aloe vera helpful when fighting hair loss. Mostly because of its properties which can include, many vitamins, amino acids, minerals like copper and zinc, plant steroids, and fatty acids.
- Scalp Itch – Studies show aloe can help not only reduce scalp itch but also scales too. Which might also help reduce hair loss. (6–9)
- Psoriasis – When dressed with aloe vera conditions improved in studies. (6–9) 31–37
- Genital herpes infection – When people such as dressed the wound with aloe vera, conditions improved in studies. 31–37 (6–9)
- Cracked nipples – Helps to aid in healing, such as reducing pain and discharge in the area. 1,4,6,13-15 29,30
- Skin ulcers – Aloe vera has been effective in the prevention of ulcers. 1,4,6,13–15 12,38
- Mouth Ulcers/Canker Sore – Studies have shown, that when a person applies an aloe vera patch to a mouth ulcer it reduces in size. (8)
- Pressure ulcers – Aloe vera may provide some relief with a pressure ulcer.1,4,6,13-15 31-37
- Mouth sores 1,4,6,13-15
- Bedsores 1,4,6,13–15
- Wound dressing – Studies show aloe vera reduced pain, bleeding, and recovery time in chronic wounds. Such as pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers, chronic anal fissure wounds, chronic wounds caused by accidents, psoriasis, and genital herpes. 18 31–37
Have you had problems with your aloe vera turning brown or white? Check out this post Aloe vera turning brown and soft for more information.
Side Effects of Using Aloe Vera
Using aloe vera externally doesn’t usually cause side effects. However, some people reported side effects..
Allergic reactions – People who are also allergic to garlic, onions, and tulips, may also be allergic to aloe vera.
Contact dermatitis – It’s possible for a skin rash to appear after being in contact with aloe vera. In addition, if this happens you’ll want to aviod any further contact with aloe vera.
Phototoxicity – an irritation of the skin, similar to a severe sunburn.
Internal Effects of using aloe vera can be a little more severe.
Diarrhea, vomiting, electrolyte imbalances, colic and kidney issues, have been associated when using aloe vera internally. Many of these issues are rare.
In conclusion, aloe vera is very useful, and has many benefits!
What’s your favorite way to use aloe vera?
Whether you want to move moringa seedlings out to the garden, or if you need to learn how to transplant moringa trees, I’ve got you! The best thing about moringa is that it can be grown in containers, raised beds, or even in an in-ground garden bed. After you’ve planted trees, sometimes you wish that…
An Urban Food Forest is self-sustaining and mimics what nature does naturally. For instance, the plants in the forest take the dead leaves, pine needles, fallen trees and uses the nutrients to grow big and strong. On the other hand, my garden takes a lot of time, and additives just to get a bare minimum…
Aloe vera is a great plant to grow indoors, and out. It’s very easy to grow, being drought tolerant, and low maintenance. Learning how to care for an aloe vera plant is simple. You might notice there are a few different types of aloe. Like many other living things on this planet, aloe comes in…
It’s a huge bummer when you see an aloe looking a little sad. If your aloe vera is turning brown and soft, then it may have some issues. Did you know? Aloe vera is native to Africa! It’s considered a tropical plant, that is drought tolerant. Aloe is a succulent, and like many succulents, it…
Come learn how to propagate aloe vera with pups and leaves. Propagating aloe vera is a simple process.
Here are a few of my favorite things… Many of these items I’ve tried myself. There’s nothing like having a good quality tool and having it last for years and years. The Best Gardening Tools list contains products for skin protection, short & long-handled tools as well as some cute planters. I may add to…
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!