Most of us know about the most used benefits of aloe vera is natural sunburn relief. However, aloe is an amazing plant that has many more benefits!
You may already know that the cosmetic, pharmaceutical and even the food industries use this fantastic plant.
It contains around 75 active ingredients, including vitamins A, C, E, B12, and choline.
I should note, some people have bad reactions to using aloe vera externally or internally. If you’re allergic to aloe vera, don’t use it!
Creative Uses For Aloe Vera
Benefits on Skin
Aloe has been found to reduce the redness of skin. (17)
Aloe Vera has the ability to increase the production of collagen. 11
Preserving Aloe Vera
You can easily remove the gel by fileting them like a fish.
There are several different ways to preserve fresh aloe vera. Freezing aloe vera can preserve it indefinitely.
- Freeze whole leaves – place whole leaves in the freezer.
- Chop leaves into cubes, place them into ice trays and freeze.
- Squeeze aloe gel into ice trays and freeze.
Don’t heat to defrost. Instead, leave it out at room temperature.
Frozen gel cubes can be used directly on a sunburn, no defrosting necessary.
Preserving Aloe with Refrigeration
Refrigerating aloe vera gel will help it keep for up to a week.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
This has not been evaluated by the FDA to my knowledge and is not meant to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any diseases or disorders.
- Reducing Dental Plaque – Studies have shown to work, just as well as some store-bought mouthwashes.
- Hair loss – Aloe vera is thought to be helpful with hair loss, mostly because of its properties which can include, many vitamins, amino acids, minerals like copper and zinc, plant steroids, and fatty acids. Studies show aloe can help reduce scalp itch and scales too. Which might also help reduce hair loss. (6–9)
- Psoriasis – When dressed with aloe vera conditions improved in studies. (6–9) 31–37
- Genital herpes infection – When the wound is dressed with aloe vera conditions improved in studies. 31–37 (6–9)
- Cracked nipples – Helps to aid in healing, reducing pain and discharge in the area. 1,4,6,13–15 29,30
- Skin ulcers – Aloe vera has been effective in the prevention of ulcers. 1,4,6,13–15 12,38
- Mouth Ulcers/Canker Sore – Studies have shown a reduction of the size of the mouth ulcers when an aloe vera patch was applied. (8)
- Pressure ulcers – were relieved when the wound was dressed with aloe vera. 1,4,6,13-15 31-37
- Mouth sores 1,4,6,13-15
- Bedsores 1,4,6,13–15
- Wound dressing – Studies show aloe vera reduced pain, bleeding and recovery time in chronic wounds such as pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers, chronic anal fissure wounds, chronic wounds caused by accidents, psoriasis, and genital herpes. 18 31–37
Side Effects of Using Aloe Vera
Using aloe vera externally doesn’t usually cause side effects. However, some effects have been reported.
Allergic reactions – People who are also allergic to garlic, onions, and tulips, may also be allergic to aloe vera.
Contact dermatitis – a skin rash that is caused after being touched by aloe vera on the skin.
Phototoxicity – an irritation of the skin, similar to a severe sunburn.
Internal Effects of using aloe vera can be a little more severe.
Diarrhea, vomiting, electrolyte imbalances, colic and kidney issues, all have been associates when using aloe vera internally. Many of these issues are rare.
In conclusion, aloe vera is very useful, and has many benefits!
What’s your favorite way to use aloe vera?
Follow us on social media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share on Pinterest!