Chicken enchiladas is one of those dishes that is a must-have on the menu. You know you have a winning dish when the kids love it too! You’ll love this simplified chicken enchilada recipe, it’s great for busy moms and dads who want to cook instead of eating out…
This recipe uses my Quick Enchilada Sauce recipe. I love it because it only takes about 10 minutes to make! However, if you have more time to spare, you can also check out my beef enchilada sauce, it’s really good and freezes well!
To Make Chicken Enchiladas…You Will Need
- To make chicken enchiladas, we will need boneless skinless chicken breast. This is actually cooked right in the enchilada sauce, making it oh so tasty! Make sure you let it cool before you shred it!
- It’s also a good idea to always season chicken before cooking it. Here in this recipe, I like to add a little salt and pepper before placing it in the pan.
- We also add a generous amount of Monterrey Jack cheese in the filling and on top of the enchiladas.
- A little bit of cilantro adds just a small amount of pizazz to the dish. Not too much, not too little, just enough for the perfect taste!
- I prefer to use corn tortillas over flour tortillas.
- 9×13 Casserole Dish – I love my pyrex, but I also have a few pretty dishes from Ikea, though not as big…
What To Use For Garnish and Toppings?
Get creative and garnish your dish with any of the following items. I also would suggest that on the side you add some rice, refried beans, a little lettuce, just like you would see in a Mexican restaurant!
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions, sliced
- Refried beans on the side
- Mexican rice on the side
- Greek Yogurt
- Cheese (more cheese is always better if you ask me)
- Red Onions, diced
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients
- I'm including these ingredients here, but go get the enchilada recipe here.
- 2 cups Water or Broth of Choice
- 6oz can Tomato Sauce OR 2 tbsp Tomato Paste + 4oz water
- 4 tbsp Mild Chile Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Flour OR Corn Starch + 1/4 cup water (mixed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (leave some for garnish if you like)
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
First, make the enchilada sauce find the recipe at QUICK ENCHILADA SAUCE
- Make enchilada sauce FIRST!
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray on a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place garlic and chicken in the pan with the enchilada sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Shred the chicken in a large bowl.
- Add one cup of enchilada sauce
- Add half of the cheese and most of the cilantro and then mix thoroughly.
- Wrap corn tortillas in paper towels and microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add about 1/3 cup of chicken enchilada mixture to one tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla and place it in the pan seam side down. Repeat these steps until you fill up the casserole dish.
- Pour the leftover enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle the leftover cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 508Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 70mgSodium 1076mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 28g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
What Other Kind of Enchiladas Can You Make?
I like experimenting since I love enchilada sauce so much…For that reason, I’ve made a few enchilada recipes.
The first recipe I came up with was this Cheese Enchiladas Recipe. These are the only enchiladas that I make with a beef enchilada sauce that IS NOT quick! If you know anything about me, I love making quick easy meals.
The good thing about those enchiladas is that you can freeze the sauce, so even though it takes over an hour to make the sauce, I can also get a few meals out of it.
My three teenage boys love…LOVE…My Beef Enchiladas Recipe. Of course, they do! It’s packed with tons of meat and cheese. What’s not to love?
The kid’s second favorite enchilada that’s super easy to make is the Cheese and Onion Enchiladas. The kids don’t usually know there are onions in it. I like sneaking veggies into foods they love. Shhh…!
If you’re interested in making authentic enchiladas, check out this YouTube video.
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!