Can you have fun while learning about geography? What about teaching it? I’m here to tell you it’s absolutely possible! With fun games, trivia, worksheets, and videos you can learn all about geography and have fun while doing it! If you don’t have at least a globe and a map of the area you are learning about I encourage you to purchase one. I had to buy a few of these items myself. I linked to some of those items on Amazon at the bottom of this post. You may be able to buy some cheap homeschool supplies at the Dollar Tree.
When you first start out figure out what area you want to focus on. We focused on the United States first and labeling the U.S. map!
We used #8 & #9 mostly. I printed out a lot of blank maps. At first I labeled the maps with their help. Then I let them label them. Without any help they could label around 10 states before we even really started learning them. After they were done, I would have them label the rest using our laminated map that we have or a printed labeled map from the same website on #8. That is all it took to get them to learn the states. We also studied abbreviations. After week 1, I started a competition to whoever labels the most states wins a (aff link) ginger candy! This ginger candy is spicy, and may not be suitable for all kids. My kids just happen to love it. We also use it for car sickness, and for nausea or after I eat too much.
I think we are going to move onto South America for now, and come back and learn about capitals, state birds and stuff like that later. The are excited about moving on. I hope that this will helps keep their interest in learning more!
Check out these 20+ Free Geography Homeschool Resources!
- Name that State! – Click to find the right state
- A questionnaire on the 50 states
- 50 States Abbreviations Quiz
- Can you name that state abbreviations game
- Place the 50 states on the map games
- USA states quiz – a quiz with points!
- Check out Geography.com
- Blank map printables – Not all of these are free, but there are several good ones that are totally free! I use the 50 states blank map for my boys. This one is my favorite one to print out. There are all kinds a free blank maps you can print out but this one is easy on the eyes and easy to label.
- Place the state on the map – This is my kids favorite 50 states game! They also have several other plenty other geography games on that website.
- Toporopa – Countries, states, mountain ranges, seas, capitals, regions and lakes!
- How well do you know our globe? – North and South America, Asia, Europe and more quizzes
- Fun World Geography Games – You can even learn about volcanoes!
- Map Puzzles are colorful and fun!
- Try the map maker from National Geographic! You could check out the map maker kits too to learn some new things or get some inspiration on how you could use the map maker.
- National Geographic also has map skills for elementary children. You can teach your children how to make a map. You can practice by making a map of your favorite park or your house!
- Here are several more free geographical printables!
- Timed map quiz and more.
- Traveler IQ Challenge has more challenging games. They are super fun though!
- Education World has many lessons on geography.
- Check out map reading activities by Enchanted Learning. I like this because it is different from all of the games and things.
Great finds on Amazon to help your kids learn more about geography
Affiliate links ahead!
- World Globe – helps to understand more about how and where the land masses are here on Earth.
- States and Capitals Flash Cards
- Kindle Book – Jaw Dropping Geography: Volcanoes Only 99 cents at time of posting!
- Kindle Book – Jaw Dropping Geography: Forests Only 99 cents at time of posting!
- Reading a Map Learning Chart
- Around the World Coloring Book
- World Map
- Interactive USA Map
I really hope this helps you with your geography lessons. There are so many great free geography homeschool resources online. I am so surprised the amount of learning opportunities that the internet provides for free at that! Leave a comment letting us know how you and your kids enjoyed this list!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂