I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner! Of course, french fried onions are fairly easy to make. I DON’T have to buy them!
With 7 simple ingredients, commonly found in every pantry, we can make french fried onions!
Last week I made green bean casserole because I needed to update the images for the blog.
I decided to make two casseroles, but I didn’t have enough onion topping for two. That’s where the idea of making my own came in.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. I make most of my food from scratch, why not this?!
These make great toppings for casseroles like green bean casserole, or as a snack, or perhaps a party pleaser!
French Fried Onions Recipe
I used one very large onion. If you can’t find a very large onion, two medium onions should be enough.
French Fried onions
- 1 very large yellow onion (or 2 large onions)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup dried minced onions
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Prepare a plate with a paper towel, to place finished onions on
- Combine ingredients in a casserole dish (or something that's square or rectangle good for breading)
- Mix well
- Toss onions in breading mix
- Fry onions on medium high heat until browned on one side
- Then, turn and brown other side
- Remove onions from fryer, and place on a plate with a paper towel
- Sprinkle with extra salt as desired
These don’t taste quite like the store-bought onion toppings, however, they were really tasty!
They went really well with the green bean casserole! I can’t wait to add them to other casseroles!
Speaking of other casseroles, I went ahead and found some more recipes these could be used with! I’ve listed them below.
I’m thinking these will be really good on my Chicken Tetrazzini too.
Recipes Using French Fried Onions
- Green Bean Casserole
- French Fried Onion Chicken Casserole
- Hot French Fried Onion Dip
- Penne and Smoked Sausage
- Shoepeg Corn Side Dish
- Broccoli Beef Supper
Follow us on Social Media!
Let Me Know What You Think!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂