Looking for a garlic hummus recipe that is easy and simple? With only a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes of your time you can make garlic hummus! The first time I tried hummus I was surprised.
I remember people talking about it as if were something gross. I assumed so incorrectly that this was not for me. I practically sat and ate the whole container by myself with some tortilla chips.
Imagine my surprise when I found out how easy it is to make hummus. I was floored. Why exactly was I buying this at the store? I will just add it to the list of things I should have known.
I would also like to point out that eating everything in moderation is important.
In fact, it seems that eating too much of this amazing food could result in many trips to the bathroom. So, don’t go too crazy and eat too much and make yourself sick!
What is Tahini?
Tahini is made like peanut butter except with sesame seeds. Tahini is so good. I could skip the whole recipe and just eat the tahini if it were not so expensive! Sesame seeds are ground and the natural oils make it into a creamy deliciousness.
Garlic Hummus Recipe:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water (use as much as you need until you get the desired consistency, which is smooth and creamy.)
- 3-5 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil ((1 tbsp will be used for garnish))
- 115 oz chickpeas (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1 pinch paprika (just for garnish)
- Place tahini (this is the one I like to use), lemon juice and 2 tbsp of water in the food processor. Process for 30-1 minute, or until smooth. Add more water 2 tbsp at a time until you get a creamy consistency.
- Add the garlic, salt, and olive oil (only 2 tbsp) and process for another 30-1 minute or until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Add the chickpeas to the mixture. If you have a small food processor you can add half or part of them at a time. Process for 1-2 minutes. You can add more water if needed.
- To finish, put the hummus in a bowl and drizzle the olive oil over top and sprinkle with paprika.
Other items to use for garnish or to spice it up
- Cayenne pepper – This will add some wonderful spicy flavors to your hummus!
- Homemade fermented hot sauce – The flavors of fermented hot sauce are so complex and add a wonderful spicy flavor!
- Toasted sesame – They make a nice garnish.
- Paprika – It is such a nice color, and flavor to add to hummus.
- Flax seeds – Great for garnish, and for the nutritional value it will add.
- Chia seeds – Also, great for garnish, and nutrition.
What do you eat hummus with?
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh vegetables, such as celery, carrots, & bell peppers.
- Fermented veggies, anything goes!
- On sandwiches, spread on bread like mayo.
- Popular sandwiches include: tempeh & hummus, and tabouli & hummus
We like to use it as a dip for tortilla chips, fresh and fermented vegetables.
It pairs well with crackers, cheese, and olives also. You can even use it as a sandwich spread like mayo. Sandwiches such as tempeh and hummus, or tabouli and hummus are great too!
Follow us on social media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share on Pinterest!