Does your family make green bean casserole at Thanksgiving every year? If your making it for the first time this year, and you’ve landed on this page your in luck! I’ve got the low down on the best green bean casserole recipe around!
Not only am I going to teach you how to make this casserole but you can learn how to make your own mushroom soup and french fried onions! Don’t worry these are simple recipes, even beginners can follow!
Why I Don’t Use Canned Mushroom Soup!
My family has been serving green bean casserole at our Thanksgiving dinner for as long as I can remember. We used a lot of canned food back in the day though.
I don’t know about you but, canned mushroom soup is disgusting!
It looks gross, it tastes gross and doesn’t add half the deliciousness that fresh mushrooms, chicken broth, and milk can to this casserole recipe.
Making your own mushroom soup is really easy. I’m going to be teaching you how to do it step by step.
Canned mushroom soup has preservatives and other ingredients that are less than desirable. Using fresh mushrooms, you can bet your button that this homemade version is much more nutritious!
You can see the ingredients to canned mushroom soup, and notice that it has MSG. If you don’t know what that is, it’s time to do some research!
Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 oz mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans (or if you don't have fresh you can use two small cans of green beans, drained)
- salt and pepper
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prep by cutting up mushrooms and onions.
- Saute the onion and mushroom in the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour in with the onion and mix well.
- Add a little bit of chicken stock to the pot, while stirring continuously. When it thickens add more. Do this until you’ve got all of the chicken stock mixed in.
- Add the milk in the same as you did with the stock.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish.
- Once you have the creamy sauce ready pour it into the casserole dish and mix it up.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the 1 stick of butter while the casserole is cooking. Or if you prefer fried onions spread the over the top, and place it in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, sprinkle the french fried onions and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 201Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 32mgSodium 320mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 3g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
If you wish to prepare this dish ahead of time, do all of the steps except for the oven instructions. Instead, cover the casserole and place it in the fridge.
Then, set the oven for 350ºF and bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly and reaches at least 135ºF. Then, remove from oven, add breadcrumbs or fried onions, and bake for 10 more minutes.
From my family to yours, We hope you have a Thankful Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Holiday Ham
- Double Stuffed Cornish Hens
- Peanut Turkey Satay (leftover turkey recipe)
- Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Green Bean Casserole
- French Fried Onions
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Gluten-Free Turkey Stuffing
- Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- Potato Au Gratin
- Potato Salad
- Mulled Wine
- Christmas Crack (Chocolate Toffee Dessert)
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!