Even as a child I have always loved vegetables. The only ones I don’t love are asparagus and broccoli. Although, I have come around to broccoli, but the asparagus is still out. Green bean casserole was a staple in my teen years. I remember my sister used to make it. It was always so delicious! Still to this day we are making our green bean casserole for normal weekday dinners, and especially for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners!
Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
- 1 1/2 lbs. green beans, or if you do not have fresh you can use two small cans of green beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp Butter, to saute onion and mushroom
- 1 stick Butter, melted. To mix in with breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Onion
- 4 oz Mushrooms, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock, or Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute the onion and mushroom in the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the flour in with the onion and mix well.
- Slowly add the chicken stock while continuously stirring.
- Add milk while continuing to stir and heat to a boil.
- Simmer this mixture until it thickens.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish.
- Once you have the creamy sauce ready pour it into the casserole dish and mix it up.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the 1 stick of butter while casserole is cooking.
- Now, sprinkle the breadcrumbs and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Okay that is it, I do hope that you enjoy this recipe! My favorite part of this casserole was always the fried onion part, but I need to find a good recipe to make my own. The canned fried onion have some ingredients that I try to avoid. The breadcrumbs are tasty but just not that same. So I will be back later to try and update the recipe for you all. I hope that I can come up with something grand in the kitchen by then. Unless you guys want to throw some recipes at me!? That would be awesome too, just leave a comment for me or you can use the contacts page.
I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday Season!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂