Homemade spices are so easy to make. This homemade chili powder recipe can be made by combining a couple of spices and herbs you have in the pantry.
I also find that when I make them myself it is easy to adjust the amount to cater to my family’s taste buds. For example, we really like garlic, so in our chili, I tend to add a lot more garlic!
Why Make Your Own Chili Powder Mix?
- Obnoxious or unnecessary ingredients: the store-bought kind contains ingredients other than what may be necessary. I found wheat flour in one popular ingredient list. I don’t see a need for that.
- Food allergies and diets: you can easily leave out that wheat flour (or other ingredients) if you are avoiding it or if you are allergic!
- It may be cheaper to make your own mixes. It will depend on the price you pay at the checkout for your individual spices and herbs, but why pay for someone to mix them for you?
Where to get bulk spices?
I used to work in a grocery store. It was my job to order spices for the deli to cook with. I mostly ordered them from a company called Frontier. They offer Organic, bulk herbs and spices usually for a pretty fair price. Frontier sells their herbs and spices on Amazon. I love shopping on Amazon, who doesn’t? It’s quick and easy, and I love that I can buy spices in bulk. This makes mixing my own spices so much easier! Below, I included affiliate links to Amazon directly to the Frontier Products.
Well, there you go. Super simple right? I like to make a lot of chili powder at one time. I will quadruple this recipe. We use chili powder a lot. My boys just love chili, which is another super easy and cheap recipe to make. I need to write a cookbook of easy, cheap, and simple kid-friendly recipes. That sounds like a great idea, right?
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tbsp oregano
- Mix all ingredients together!
- Store in an airtight container.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 25Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 6mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 1g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Super Easy Chili
- How to make garlic, onion and chili powder
- Chili Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Curry Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
- 6 Ways to Preserve Herbs
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!