This laundry detergent recipe not only saves me money, but it really cleans! I have all boys and they are very messy and stinky! Most of the time I use 1 TBSP of detergent for a load. I like how simplistic it is to make my own homemade laundry detergent.
You can add 1/4 cup of vinegar into the wash to help soften the clothes. If you feel like the loads are super heavy or large you can add an extra TBSP of powdered laundry to the load.
Laundry Detergent Recipe
NOTICE: If you have an HE washer, you’ll have to consult the manual or the company whether to use a homemade detergent in your machine.
I have an HE machine. Not a fancy one with a soap drawer, but you just add detergent in the barrel like the old style. When adding the powder I either add it first or make sure it is not placed on top of the clothes. With these washers that don’t put in much water it’s best to make sure it has contact with the water before mixing with the clothes. Otherwise they will come out gritty, because the soap didn’t get dissolved in water…
- 1 cup Super Washing Soda
- 1 cup Baking Soda *Optional – I just started adding this in the last batch. I am enjoying having baking soda in this recent batch of detergent. The clothes are much softer, and smell even fresher!
- Cut the soap bars into cubes. Then place it into a food processor.
- I like to add 1 cup of borax and chop and mix until the soap is mostly a powder consistency.
- Then, add in the washing soda, and mix again for a few minutes.
- Find a cool container to place it in and you are all done.
- 1 TBSP per load and 2 TBSP for extra heavy or large loads.
Add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the wash to soften your items. I like to reuse things when I can so, I’m using these boxes that my dishwasher detergent tabs come in. I tried making my own dishwasher detergent but it didn’t work very well. I am still searching for a recipe that will work in my dishwasher and also in high humidity. If I figure it out I will most definitely share with you all!
Where can you find these ingredients?
You can find all of these items in some grocery stores on the same aisle as the detergents! Some stores don’t carry them, you may have to look around at a couple of stores or ask your favorite store to start stocking or special order the items. Or you can order them on Amazon!
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!