What if I told you an Italian man gave me his mother’s a Homemade Marinara Recipe? Excited yet? I tweaked the recipe a bit, but not much. It just needed a tad bit more garlic and maybe a little more herbs.
Spaghetti has been a staple in our home for well over a decade now. I usually make vegetarian marinara. I’ve tested it against men who refuse to eat a meal without meat, and they end up praising this dish, saying they didn’t even miss the meat! However, feel free to add some ground beef, or chicken, whatever you like to this recipe. We’re not exactly vegetarians around here, but I’ve always prefered spaghetti without meat. Not to mention meat is expensive, and we need a few meals without it for budget purposes!
I have a an amazing meatball recipe to share with you too! So if you’re interested, check it out too! This recipe will teach you how to cook meatballs for spaghetti!
Homemade Marinara Recipe
Cook/prepare/care for food properly. See disclaimer.
You can use fresh or canned tomatoes for this dish.
- 1 tsp olive oil (here’s a brand I like to use)
- 1 onion – yellow (no sweet) or white, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 28oz diced tomatoes or 3.5 cups of fresh diced tomatoes
- 28 oz tomato sauce or 3.5 cups of fresh tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme ( I use fresh from the garden but this brand usually has amazing products)
- 1/2 tsp fresh or dried basil (again here’s the brand I love, but I usually use my homegrown, and dried herbs)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (I love to grow rosemary, but if you need to buy some I love this brand too when buying herbs)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp of red cooking wine ( I love this brand)
If you are cooking pasta with your marinara, get your water boiling now.
- Saute onion, and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, and herbs and spices.
- Bring to boil.
- Add red wine.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with delicious pasta!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Feel free to print it out. There is a print button in the social share buttons. If you like this recipe leave me a comment!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂