I found some amazing documentaries on Netflix to help teach kids about many subjects. I’ve also included links to lesson plans you can use along with the documentaries. Most of them are free. Homeschooling with Netflix is fun and entertaining!
Homeschooling with Netflix
First, we’ll check out some subjects you could use for Homeschooling with Netflix, along with lesson plans. Most of the lesson plans that I found are free! If you don’t want to bother with lesson plans, just watch any of these documentaries that suit your fancy.
These will give children a chance to learn about the land, people, and animals that live in places around the world. Like a virtual field trip. Check out my blog post of free geography resources.
Virunga – an Oscar-nominated true story about rangers who risk their lives to save endangered gorillas in Africa’s national park.
Clarendon Learning has a ton of great lessons! Check this one out for Africa.
- The Blue Planet & Blue Planet 2– Explore the ocean, in one of my all-time favorites The Blue Planet!
- Life in The Blue
- Mission Blue
- Pacificium – Four scientists explore Peru’s coastline by land, sea, and air.
- Bermuda Triangle – The mysteries surrounding the Bermuda triangle still baffle scientists today. Explore the strange with this documentary. Check out a lesson plan here on this.
- Chasing Coral – documenting the disappearance of coral reefs.
Lesson Plans on Oceans
- Scholastic has a lesson plan on Oceans, and so does the Smithsonian.
- Oceans of the World via Clarendon Learning
- What Lives In The Ocean via Clarendon Learning
- Wild France – There are still places in Europe that are hardly touched by people.
- Wild North – Explore the forests & rugged coastlines of Norway.
- National Geographic, has more great (free) ways to learn more about Europe.
Lesson Plans on Europe
Alaska & Canada
Galapagos – Interesting wildlife, and unlike most of the planet. Check out the weird and beautiful Galapagos Islands.
All about South American via Clarendon Learning
Virtual Field Trips | Landmarks
- National Parks Adventure – Scholastic has some lessons about National Parks, and so does US Mint
- Yellowstone Thaw – Check out this lesson plan to learn how geysers erupt. There used to be a documentary about the wolves in Yellowstone but last time I checked Netflix pulled it and I don’t remember what it was called. It was very interesting. However, here is a lesson plan on the Wolves of Yellowstone.
- Yellowstone Park – live stream Old Faithful
- Houston Zoo Webcam
- Farm Fresh 360 – Take a virtual field trip to a Canadian farm!
- Virtual Egg Farm Field Trip
- Star Atlas – Take a virtual trip to see the stars!
- Nature Works Everywhere has several virtual field trips
- Boston Museum – a virtual tour!
- Smithsonion – virtual tour
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – Art lovers beware, you’ll love this virtual tour!
- Google Arts and Culture – There is a seemingly endless list of cool things to explore!
- Ellis Island – Visit the Statue of Liberty
- The Louvre Museum – I’m pretty excited about this, to be honest!
- The Great Wall of China
- Easter Island
- Visit Mars!
- Virtual Field Trip to Mexico!
Other Free Geography Lesson Plans
- Amazing Race – Has children create their own amazing race game!
- Spanish Culture lesson plans
- German Culture Lesson
- The Civil War – Check out Civil War (dot org) to see lesson plans for all ages.
- The Roosevelts – PBS has a lesson plan made for this very documentary! How awesome is that?
- World War II – Scholastic has a lesson plan on World War II.
- Nazi | Mega Weapons
- Lincoln – Director Steven Spielberg takes on the legacy of Abraham Lincoln.
- Lesson plan for Back in Time Travel Brochure – Using travel brochures and a lesson plan, to learn about World History.
- The Eighties – Big hair, crazy colors, and MTV actually played music.
There are plenty of other documentaries but I tried to include ones that were TV-14 at most. Many others are rated TV-MA, and NR.
- Magic of Mushrooms
- The Mars Generation
- Forces of Nature
- Food Science
- Catching the Sun
- Earth’s Natural Wonders
- Into the Inferno
- Natural Disaster lesson plans – Teach Engineering has a lesson plan on Natural Disasters.
- Space lesson plans – When I started homeschooling I found several awesome ways to teach about space, check out some of those free homeschool resources here. Teacher Vision has some pretty amazing lesson plans on SPACE. Also, check out Geology(dot com) to see more free lesson plans on space.
- Clarendon Learning has several great lesson plans for science
More documentaries available for streaming as of 09/5/19
- Brain Games (SERIES) – This series is very interesting. In the first episode, it shows people how the brain uses shadows to help understand the world around us. It is really very interesting and educational.
- Planet Earth: The Complete Collection – I bought this on DVD when it came out many years ago. It is so good.
- Life – Discover life on Earth.
- Life Story – Following wild animals in their natural habitat.
- The Last Man on the Moon
- Nature’s Great Events – Weather patterns, and seasonal events that create awesome wildlife events.
- The Pyramid Code – The truth about the pyramids have arrived.
- Blackfish – Animal slaves for entertainment are dying in their own prisons, due to lack of food, space, and quality nutrition. Countless animals die each year for the sake of human curiosity. Boycott zoos, and marine shows who are just trying to make money off these poor animals.
- Tales by Light – Check out the physical extremes photographers go through to get that shot. What’s it really like to be one of the world’s top photographers?
- Forces of Nature – Explaining complex natural forces like shape, color, motion and more.
- Our Planet -Emmy Nominated – Watch the planet’s amazing diverse creatures.
- Terra – A documentary about the relationship between living creatures and humans.
- Weird Wonder Of The World
- 72 Most Dangerous Animals
- 72 Cutest Animals
- Naledi – A baby elephant’s tail
- The Ivory Game – Exposing ivory trafficking
- Last Chance to See – Animal species that are near extinction.
- Beak & Brain – Genius birds
- Round Planet – A unique twist to the story of our planet.
- Bugs – The benefits of bugs as a future food source.
- Frozen Planet
- Growing up Wild
Other Cool Homeschooling links
- Coding For Kids | 33 Homeschool Coding Classes!
- Free Homeschool Curriculums | 9 FREE Curriculums
- Virtual Field Trips | Zoos, Museums, Landmarks, And More!
- Virtual Math Manipulatives | Homeschool Math Websites
- Typing Games For Kids | Perfect For Homeschoolers!
- Totally Free Homeschooling Resources | How To Homeschool For Free
- Free Printable Valentine Matching Game – Free Valentine’s Printables
- Why Homeschool Is The Right Choice For Us – Our Reasons to Homeschool
- 34 Free Valentine Printables – Free Valentine’s Day Printables
- Free Printable Valentine Word Search – Free Valentine’s Printables
- 42 Dollar Tree Homeschool Supplies List – Frugal Homeschooling
- 20+ Free Homeschool Resources | Free Homeschooling
- Free Geography Homeschool Resources
- Language Arts Program for Homeschoolers
- Homeschool Math Resource – IXL Website Review
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!