How to choose the right chicken coop? That was a question I asked myself when I first got word we were getting chickens. It was a sudden thing. The guy didn’t want them anymore. So we didn’t already have coop prepared. I went to many different websites looking for the answer to that very question. I hope that this blog post will help you pick one out more easily. Plus, I have made a great comparison chart too!
Picking out a chicken coop can be so confusing. There are so many styles, sizes and floor plans to choose from, but which one is perfect for you? There are many factors that come into play when choosing a coop.
Let’s talk about the important things you need to think about when it comes to choosing the right chicken coop. Grab a pen and paper to write down your answers. If you need help, comment on this post, and I will try to answer you back as soon as possible!
- How many chickens do you have or expect to have?
- Chicken breeds – chicken breeds come in many different sizes and so do the coops. Some chickens are small and will need less space, but the bigger birds will need more space.
- How cold does it get in the winter?
- Will the chickens run free, or will you need a chicken run? To help you answer this question here are a few factors to think about. Check out the blog post I wrote about it. Should I Let My Chickens Free Range? Or you can check out this quick video.
- Is it easy to clean? Easy pull out trays under the roosts, are some of the options to choose from. Check out how to clean a chicken coop if you need to know how.
- Are you worried about predators? You will need a really secure coop, and you may even need to modify it to add more protection.
- What is your spending limit?
- Does it have easy access to the nesting boxes for egg collection?
- How much space do I have for a chicken coop? A lot or a little? See the measurements to make sure it will fit into your space.
- Are you expecting to accommodate other birds such as ducks, or quail?
I hope this helps you pick the right chicken coop! I know I could have used a post like this when I was looking. I looked at so many different companies, it was a lot of work sifting through all of the different types of coops. Good luck finding your dream coop!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂