I love kale and basil. So no big surprise that I fell in love with this mixture! My Kale and Basil Pesto was born one day, when I was short of ingredients…
The first time I made pesto, I wasn’t exactly prepared. I had no idea I would need several cups of basil to make the traditional basil pesto recipe. In the fridge, I had some kale. It’s green and would be tasty in some oil with pine nuts and parmesan, so why not try it?
The kale seamlessly take the place of some of the basil and makes a great substitute. If you don’t have kale, check out the other twisted pesto recipes I found below!
Kale and Basil Pesto
- 4 garlic cloves (*add only two if you don't like a lot of garlic!)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups fresh basil (loosely packed)
- 2.5 cups fresh kale (loosely packed)
- 2 oz fresh parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or Walnuts)
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add all of the ingredients (except for oil) into a food processor.
- Add a little bit of the oil, and blend for a few seconds.
- Add a little more oil, and blend a few more seconds.
- Do this until you have added all of the oil, and the mixture has a creamy texture.
- Serve over pasta, with chips and/or cheese.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 118Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 5mgSodium 285mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 3g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
Manual Food Choppers
Get Creative! More Pesto Twists!
- Beetroot Pesto – The fun colors of beets will turn pasta hot pink!
- Roasted Red Pepper Carrot Pesto – This might just be that new favorite recipe I’m looking for!
- Pumpkin Seed Pesto – Perfect recipe for the fall!
- Kale, Hemp, and Flaxseed Oil Pesto – Sounds somewhat similar to my recipe with some added benefits!
- Asparagus and Wild Garlic Pesto – Okay, I’m not gonna lie…I don’t like asparagus! I know there are many fans, so I’ll list it anyhow!
- Corn Pesto – This one sounds a little weird to me, but I love corn and I’m going to try it.
- Arugula Pesto – Have some extra arugula laying around? It makes a delicious pesto!
- Tomatillo Poblano and Jalapeño Pesto – Looking for a spicy pesto? This one is amazing!
- Spinach and Truffle Oil Pesto – If you’d like a gourmet pesto!
- Chard Pesto – Greens, greens, and more greens. Maybe we should mix all the greens and make pesto!
- Garlic Avocado Pesto – A super creamy version with a lot of healthy fats!
- Rosemary-Tomato Pesto – If you didn’t know, I love Rosemary! This pesto comes packed with a very Italian taste!
More Kale Recipes
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!