My kids love to hike. We live near a state forest and a national forest. There are so many great trails right near our home. Having three kids I tend to overpack! When people hike it’s not a good thing to overpack. So I made a Lightweight Hiking Bag List.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FreeToBe #CollectiveBias
Lightweight Hiking Bag List
This list is for a day hike only.
If you’re looking for ways to carry a lightweight bag while hiking with kiddos, you need to start with the necessities. Sometimes as moms, we over prepare or overthink everything.
This bag list is very basic. If you or your children have medicine that they take and they will need while they are gone, you’ll be responsible for adding that to your list. Start with a bag that fits your body well. Not too big and not too small. If you do a lot of hiking it’s more than worth investing in a good backpack.
Let’s talk about food. What kind of food is lightweight? Granola bars, nuts, and especially freeze dried food. Freeze dried fruit is a perfect snack item, and it is very lightweight!
First aid is a must, there is no way around it. You will need something like this. Or you can put one together yourself.
Bug spray and sunscreen are a must on just about any hike. I get a brand that is both bug spray and sunscreen in one, to save space and on weight! In these pictures we are hiking on a trail in Chattanooga, TN called Cloudland Canyon. Isn’t the view spectacular?
Don’t forget to bring your camera/phone and a charger. Preferably a portable power cell, or a solar charger. I also, like to bring my EDC everywhere I go. It has a little bit of everything in there
The easiest way to carry enough water, is to have everyone carry their own. If you put them all in the backpack, it will be way to heavy.. Especially, if you have several kids and/or adults with you. As you see in the photo my child is carrying his own water bottle. Little did I know the other just left their water bottles behind on accident. We had to walk all the way back just to pick them up! Fun times… 🙂
I also bring along a small sewing kit, handheld mirror, lotion, fingernail clipper set with tweezers. Tweezers are important because someone might get a splinter. I also like to pack my Homemade Lip Balm.
A pack of tissues, can be used for many things, the most important is toilet paper! It could also be used to start a fire. Speaking of starting fires, you will need to carry a lighter with you. If you start a fire be sure to put it out before you leave the area!
More items include garbage bags, duct tape rolled onto an old store card, and some cash. While we are on the topic of money, what other items might you need from your purse? We already have a cell phone on the list. The only other thing that you absolutely need is your id. It’s important to carry an id at all times. #adulting
Grab the Printable Hiking Bag Checklist For Moms.
Lightweight Hiking Bag List
- Change of clothes, or at least underwear.
- First Aid
- Knife (I have a kershaw kinda like this and love it) and/or multi-tool (follow all of your local, state and federal laws)
- Bugspray (make your own)/sunscreen (hands down the best sunscreen).
- Travel sewing kit ( The Dollar Tree has them for $1)
- Mirror, for signaling and other uses.
- Finger nail clipper set with tweezers.
- Homemade lip balm.
- Travel tissue, for toilet paper and starting a fire.
- EDC, everyday carry kit, this list is specifically for women!
- Phone/camera charger. Solar is a good option or you can bring a power cell with you.
- Water, preferably not carried in the bag. It will weigh it down significantly. Have everyone carry their own bottle if possible.
- Garbage bags
- Duct Tape, wrapped around an old store card, so you don’t have to carry around an entire roll.
If you’re bringing a baby hiking…
Bring these items also.
- If on formula, bring bottles and formula.
- 3-5 diapers
- Diaper rash cream
- Favorite toy
- Baby carrier if you have one
I hope you have a great time hiking with your family. Remember to only pack what you need!
Let Me Know What You Think!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂