This Mulligatawny recipe is a chopped up version of the Indian soup called Tamil. Tamil translates to pepper broth. Originally, it had chicken broth, onion, celery, apples, almonds, curry, coconut cream, chicken, and it was garnished with rice.
See more about its interesting history and Food Reference. My mulligatawny recipe is filling and delicious!
Mulligatawny Recipe | Chicken & Apple Curry Soup
- 1 stick butter
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp curry
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups coconut milk (or regular milk)
- 3-5 granny smith apples (peeled and diced (directions will let you know when to peel, so they don’t go brown before you get them in the soup))
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute chicken in butter until golden brown.
- Add garlic and onion to pan, cook for several minutes until sauted well.
- Sprinkle in the flour over this mixture and stir well.
- Add the curry, and stir well. (We like a lot of curry!)
- Turn the burner to medium high heat, and add the chicken broth and milk. Cook for about 5 to 10 more minutes, or until boiling.
- Peel and dice the apples. Add them to the pot.
- Cook for just a few more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If it needs more curry add some more!
- Enjoy your delicious soup!
Follow us on social media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share on Pinterest!