Are you thinking about getting chickens? Chickens provide much more than just fresh eggs. One of my favorite reasons to have chickens is that they eat bugs. Not just any bugs but usually the most annoying bugs like ants, mosquitoes, ticks, and more!
Reasons to Have Chickens
- Fresh eggs – Of course. This is the biggest reason why most people want chickens. Not to mention healthy eggs that come from happy and healthy chickens. My chickens lead the happiest lives, and I know that they are healthy. They’re not caged or mistreated.
- Eat the on bugs – before chickens we were overrun. We live in a hot climate. We have had problems with ants, and big cockroaches in the house. Which is fairly normal here where we live. Every home deals with these bugs, but since we got chickens the ant problem went away on their own and so did the cockroaches. I had no idea that they would turn a nasty cockroach into a delicious egg. What sorcery is this? The Nourished Kitchen said that their chickens eat scorpions! That is pretty exciting because my son had a scorpion in his shirt and it stung him. Thankfully, we don’t have poisonous scorpions here but it was a scare I wish on NO ONE! They also eat ticks, and mosquitoes and many more!
- Meat – Not just any meat, but meat from healthy chickens that had a good life and fed good food, like bugs. Mm, yum! Make sure you get the right breed that is good for meat! Check out this breed selector tool to help you find the right breed for your needs!
- Eat the weeds – If you have a garden they will totally eat some of it. My chickens devoured my cabbage. Ugg, I was so mad. They will eat some weeds though! Which can be very helpful, especially when you live in the woods as we do.
- Clearing the woods – this kinda goes along with eating the weeds, but they do much more than that! They dig up the ground, scratching and scraping the ground to find bugs. Some of the woods are a little hard to walk through because of all the crap growing everywhere, but the chickens are helping to clear out some of that crap.
- Therapy? – Some people have long used puppies or kittens as companions. I have found that chickens just make me happy. They make my husband happy too. He just loves them. He sent me a message a couple of days ago about baby chicks being sold nearby that he wants to buy. Lol, I love that he loves them too!
- Lessons for kids – The kids will learn where their food comes from. Understanding that food is not something that you buy in the store. It comes from the ground, animals, trees, plants, dirt, roots, leaves!
- Responsibility for kids – Kids need to learn more about taking care of themselves, others, and animals. If you ask me, many kids these days could use some responsibility.
- Fertilizer – If your chickens are free-range, your yard will be getting the benefits of the chicken poop. Also, so will your shoes and your porches lol. I take poop from the coop and put it in the compost. I am making some amazing dirt for my garden!
- Entertainment – They are just so funny. They provide hours of entertainment. Just watching them go after a cricket or a big bug is hilarious! They will jump, flap, and run trying to catch a scrumptious, tasty treat!
Check out the Nourished Kitchen’s reason for having chickens.
More Chicken Articles
- Getting Chickens on the Homestead – Homesteading Journey
- Raccoon In The Chicken Coop | Tips For Predator Proofing A Coop
- Chicken Coop Tour | Check Out Our Chicken Coops
- Should I Let my Chickens Free Range? | Free Range VS. Chicken Run
- How to Choose the Right Chicken Coop
- How Do You Take a Vacation When You Have Chickens
- How to Care for Chickens – Chickens Beginners Guide
- Adding Chickens to Your Flock
- Frequently Asked Questions about Chickens – 36 Chicken FAQ
- Should I Have a Rooster In My Flock? – Pros and Cons of Having a Rooster
- 10 Reasons to Have Chickens
- 5 Mistakes New Chicken Keepers Make
- All Natural Chicken First Aid Kit | Chicken Emergency Kit
- Meet Our Baby Chicks
- 3 Awesome Reasons For Feeding Pumpkin to Chickens
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!