Saying no to cereal isn’t easy. Today I’m sharing a list of items that we eat for breakfast. Before we get started I want to mention that if your kids are not eating cereal every day they may be missing out on getting that extra calcium from milk. So make sure you add enough calcium to their diet to keep those bones good and strong!
Foods High in Calcium | Say No To Cereal
Make sure the kiddos are still getting enough calcium, by speaking to your doctor about supplements or making sure they get plenty of calcium-rich foods, like these…
Why Say No to Cereal?
It’s been said for a very long time that breakfast is the most important part of the day. So why are we loading ourselves and our children with high fructose syrup, GMOs, colors, and dyes? Some of the ingredients in cereals are linked to ADHD, hyperactivity, anxiety, migraines, and cancer! How are we supposed to go to work, and our children to school after eating this so-called food and function as we are asked to do?
This year I have set out to cut the processed food out of my house. As much as I possibly can. I already cook most of our foods, but for breakfast last year we ate so much cereal! I was using coupons to get it as cheap as I can. My boys can eat about a box of cereal a day, and well, they love it obviously. Early this year, I noticed that the prices of cereal went up.
At this point, with these prices, it was really way too expensive for my budget anyway. The only reason we were able to have it was because it was cheap. I felt very guilty all last year for giving my kids a very unhealthy breakfast and wanted to change it. I took this increase in price on it as the sign that it was time to do so! So I set out to have a more healthy breakfast that will not break the bank and the kids enjoy!
Breakfast Items List:
Here’s a list of items that we eat for breakfast. I hope these simple ideas will help or motivate your family to moving into the next step or just give you more ideas for a healthier breakfast! I have provided the recipes for the homemade items, and I freeze these items to make preparing breakfast a lot faster!
- Whole Wheat Biscuits – Add organic maple syrup, honey, butter, jam, pear butter, or jelly
- Butter Biscuits – Add organic maple syrup, honey, butter, jam, pear butter, jelly, sausage, eggs, and/or cheese
- Pancakes – Add Organic maple syrup, honey, bananas, berries or other fruit, jam, pear butter, jelly, or butter
- Toast – Made with Homemade bread – Add organic syrup, honey, butter, jam, pear butter, jelly, sausage, eggs, and/or cheese
- Breakfast Burritos – We like to add ketchup!
- Oatmeal – Add organic maple syrup, fruit like bananas, honey, jam, pear butter, or jelly
- Grits – Add butter and maybe a piece of toast!
- Smoothies – Just add a straw!
- Fruit – bananas, pears, apples, grapes, berries, oranges or any other
- Chocolate Granola Bars – these are amazing and they freeze well.
- Eggs, sausage or bacon, and biscuits.
* buy my organic maple syrup from Trader Joe’s. They have a great price!
Try not to use just any old syrup on the shelf, because most of the name brand pancake syrups are not maple syrup they are high fructose syrup. Real maple syrup has beneficial properties, but fructose doesn’t. It’s more expensive but I made the switch by just giving the kids a smaller amount of syrup. I feel better giving them something that they love, but that is also good for them!
- Strawberry Jam Recipe
- Pear Butter Recipe
- Beautyberry Jelly recipe
- Butter Biscuit Recipe
- Whole Wheat Biscuit Recipe
- Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- Chocolate Granola Bar Recipe
- Smoothie Recipe
- Homemade Bread Recipe
- How to store and restore homemade bread
- Fresh Frittata
- Breakfast Burrito To-Go
Do You Have More Breakfast Ideas?
Do you have some favorite breakfast recipes or items? I would love to get more ideas. A couple more recipes that are quick, easy, and frugal if you have any to share! I hope you found this post helpful.
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!