I was given a case of orange bell peppers. I of course had to make some Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers that look like pumpkins! How fun are these? Guess what, they tasted A-MAZING too!
A friend gave me some of her “home-raised sausage” and oh wow, nothing can compare to that sausage. I think I am in love. My dear husband has no idea, I just fell in love with the idea of raising pigs!
I’ve made stuffed peppers before, but I used rice. Here lately I have been using quinoa in the place of rice. It takes on the taste of whatever you want it to. It doesn’t absorb and nullify the taste like rice does.
I thought it would be a great idea to replace the rice in these bell peppers. Quinoa is gluten free and a perfect addition to the diet. It contains many nutrients and vitamins. Check out the chart in this article on why you should eat more quinoa and how it may be better for you than rice.
Sausage Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe:
Sausage Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb. sausage (Kielbasa is good!)
- 3 carrots (minced)
- 2 bell peppers (minced)
- 10 – 20 bell peppers ( I only filled about 10 peppers and we ate the leftovers the next day without serving them in peppers.)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- rosemary (1/4 tsp or a couple of springs)
- Cut up the carrots, & bell peppers.
- Place the quinoa, carrots & bell peppers in a large saucepan and cook according to the directions for the quinoa. Usually, heat to boiling, then simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Cook the sausage in a frying pan according to the directions.
- Prepare the peppers to be stuffed just like you would when carving a pumpkin (but with less mess!) Cut a notch in the top and then all the way around the top. Clean out the seeds. Then, if you want to, carve some faces in them!
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- When the sausage is done cooking, stir it into the quinoa mixture.
- Now, you are ready to stuff those peppers!
- Stick the peppers in the oven, careful the pan will be heavier than you would expect it to be! Speaking from experience, can you tell?
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Be careful pulling them off the pan they will be very hot!
Follow us on social media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share on Pinterest!