I was given a case of orange bell peppers. I of course had to make some Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers that look like pumpkins! How fun are these? Guess what, they tasted A-MAZING too!
A friend gave me some of her “home-raised sausage” and oh wow, nothing can compare to that sausage. I think I am in love. My dear husband has no idea, I just fell in love with the idea of raising pigs!
I’ve made stuffed peppers before, but I used rice. Here lately I have been using quinoa in the place of rice. It takes on the taste of whatever you want it to. It doesn’t absorb and nullify the taste like rice does.
I thought it would be a great idea to replace the rice in these bell peppers. Quinoa is gluten free and a perfect addition to the diet. It contains many nutrients and vitamins. Check out the chart in this article on why you should eat more quinoa and how it may be better for you than rice.
Sausage Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe:
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb. sausage roll
- 3 carrots (minced)
- 2 bell peppers (minced)
- 10 – 20 bell peppers (for filling)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- rosemary (1/4 tsp or a couple of springs)
- Place the quinoa, carrots & bell peppers in a large saucepan and cook according to the directions for the quinoa. Heat to boiling, then simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Cook the sausage in a frying pan according to the directions.
- Prepare the peppers to be stuffed just like you would when carving a pumpkin (but with less mess!) Cut a notch in the top and then all the way around the top. Clean out the seeds. Then, if you want to, carve some faces in them!
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- When the sausage is done cooking, stir it into the quinoa mixture.
- Now, you are ready to stuff those peppers!
- Stick the peppers in the oven, careful the pan will be heavier than you would expect it to be! Speaking from experience, can you tell?
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool. They will be very hot!
I only fill about 10 peppers and we ate the leftovers the next day without serving them in peppers.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 310Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 23mgSodium 346mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 9g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
You might also like my Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe. Thanksgiving is coming soon, and if you usually plan a small or intimate holiday dinner these are perfect. Such as a friendsgiving?!
Throwing a Friendsgiving can be a lot of fun. However, it can be a lot of work too! This can be stressful during an already stressful time. You can certainly counteract this issue by asking everyone to bring their own dish. Additionally, is it too much to ask that they help with dishes? I mean if you’re hosting, surely they can do that right?
Enjoy your holidays!
Follow Us On Social Media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share On Pinterest!