Are you thinking of starting a garden soon? There’s so much to plan. Let’s start with just the first 5 steps to starting a garden. If we break down starting a garden in easy to do steps maybe it won’t seem like such a daunting task!
The First 5 Steps For Starting a Garden
If you’re thinking about starting your herb garden with seeds instead of plants, check out this Seed Starting Class first. It’s a very affordable way to learn about growing from seeds. I took the class myself from the Online Gardening School. The instructor Rick has 18 years of gardening experience! He really knows what he’s talking about!
- Pick a few places that could be potential for a garden.
- Pick a day when you’d have time to go outside every 2 hours and note if these spots are sunny, partially shaded, or completely shady. Most things growing during the spring and summer want a lot of sun.
- Look through seed catalogs, think small and realistically. Order only what you know you would actually eat.
- Read a lot of books and even blog posts on gardening, if you’re a beginner. Especially this one I found very different from the rest but probably most helpful as far as pests go.
- Get a piece of paper and map out the garden area. Then, figure out where everything will go. Keep your records so you can remember what’s what and where. Next year you’ll want to rotate everything, to help minimize pests. An easy way to do this is to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise each year.
The next steps include getting your soil ready to sow seeds. You can talk to your local extension office to ask for a soil sample. This can tell you the Ph and other levels in your soil. Which can help you determine what kind of amendments should be added to your soil to help you grow happy healthy plants.
After your soil is all set, it’s finally time to sow your seeds. Some seeds are started indoors, and some can be sown right into the garden soil.
There’s so much more to do, but these first five steps aren’t so bad, breaking it down into easy steps is the best way of tackling a big project.
More Gardening Posts
- Best Gardening Tools List – A List of The Best Gardening Tools
- Garden Pest Control
- Top 10 Best Edibles To Grow Inside
- DIY Herb Planter – How to Put Together a Front Porch Herb Planter
- Everything You Should Know About Growing Rosemary
Follow us on social media!
Have questions? Leave me a comment!
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment! Thank you for visiting. 🙂
Share on Pinterest!