Here is a great little guide to remember where to store common pantry items, and how long they’ll last depending on where they’re stored. How long will your pasta last in the pantry? Questions like that and many more are answered in the post below.
There are three main storage places for our pantry essentials. Either the pantry, fridge or the freezer. Below you will find a suggestion on where to keep the food item and how long it may last.
Pantry Guide For Storing Dry Goods
For long term storage, many of these can be stored in mylar bags with desiccant bags, inside of a 5-gallon bucket. It should last many more years.
Most dried goods should be stored in an airtight container. If you live in a humid environment, it’s a good idea to add desiccant bags to keep out moisture.
- All-purpose flour – Pantry 1 year | Freezer 2 years
- Baking powder – Pantry 1 year or longer. Learn how to test baking powder or soda is still good for baking.
- Baking soda – Pantry 2 years for baking) however, it can be used for cleaning after expiration.
- Dried beans & peas – Pantry 2-3 years
- White rice – Pantry Indefinite Make sure to keep it in an airtight container with desiccant bags.
- Brown rice – Pantry 3-6 months | Freezer 12-18 months
- Brown sugar – Pantry 18 months
- Pasta – Pantry up to 3 years
- Cornmeal – Pantry 1 year | Freezer 24 months
- Dried fruit – Pantry 1 year | Freezer 2-3 years
- Powdered sugar – Pantry 2years
- Rolled oats – Pantry 1 year
- Steel-cut oats – Pantry 1 year
- Bread flour – Pantry 1 year
- Granulated sugar – Pantry 2 years
- Whole wheat flour – Pantry 8 months | Freezer 2 years
- Yeast – Fridge 1 year
Herbs & Spices
Herbs and spices can be stored in small jars. Bulk herbs and spices can be stored for long term in airtight containers with desiccant packs or you can vacuum pack them.
Most herbs and spices should last about 3 to 4 years.
Salt can last indefinitely if not exposed to moisture.
Oils, Nuts, and Seeds | Pantry Guide
- EVOO – Pantry 1 year (unopened) 3-4 month (opened)
- Natural nut butters – Fridge 6-9 months | Pantry 3-6 months
- Coconut oil – Pantry 2 years
- Nuts – Fridge 2 years | Most nuts do well in refrigeration and can last about or up to 2 years.
- Coffee grounds – Pantry 3-5 months | Freezer 1-2 years
- Whole coffee beans – Pantry 1 year (unopened) | Freezer 2-3 years
Condiments | Pantry Guide
- Soy sauce – Pantry 2-3 years
- Ketchup – Pantry 1 year (unopened) | Fridge 6 months opened
- Rice vinegar – Pantry indefinite
- Hot sauce – Pantry 5 years
- Red wine vinegar – Pantry Indefinite
- Apple cider vinegar – Pantry Indefinite
- Worcestershire Sauce – Pantry 3 years
- Mustard – Pantry 1 year (unopened) | Fridge 8 months (opened)
- Mayonnaise – Pantry 1 year (unopened) | Fridge 3 months (opened)
- Maple syrup – Pantry 2 years (unopened) | Fridge 1 year
- Honey – Pantry Indefinite
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!