We went from having two incomes to one income.
Stressful jobs lead to a huge burnout…
The best things I did was reduce the grocery bill by using more coupons learning how to shop the sales and using tax money to buy a 1 year supply of everyday items like deodorant and shampoo.
Here are some ideas to help save money:
- Reduce grocery bill – by using coupons when possible and shop the sales.
- Cancel subscriptions – Cable/Internet/Phone
- Cook/eat at home/Use cheap recipes – Here is one: Dill Caper Pasta.
- Buy off-brand items/Unless brand name is cheaper with a coupon.
- Shop thrift stores – if you need clothes, or do what I do and wait for someone to give you a bag of clothes.
- Stockpile clothes – I also, keep clothes for the kids in the shed that were given to us! We have a couple of years ahead of us packed away that don’t fit just yet.
- Toilet paper – I buy 2-3 boxes of this a year. I estimate I am saving probably $60-$70/yr.
- Make Homemade Laundry Detergent.
- Plant a garden.
- Can or use other methods of preserving your garden veggies.
- Use a store card to rack up gas points.
- Buy some of those everyday items from a dollar store.
- Homemade items – Some items are just cheaper to make at home… chap balm, hot cocoa, bread, biscuits, pancakes, & jams & jellies, homemade perfume
- Plan to eat some cheap foods such as beans and rice, and soup is a great idea too.
- Use your homemade items a gifts for family and friends!
- Find new uses for something you might otherwise throw away. At Christmas time, I made a wreath with pine cones, paper bags from the grocery store, an old piece of garland, an old red bow, some paint and a piece of cardboard.
- I started fermenting some things here recently and I found the perfect little cucumbers to use and the pack only costs $2.29! I can make two jars of fermented pickles. Water, spices, and salt are all pretty cheap, so it makes it much, MUCH cheaper to make my own. The best part is that the fermented pickles are even better than store bought ones! . Some of the brands are throwing in the ingredient yellow 5. Many bad things are being said about yellow 5 and we are trying to avoid it. Okay, one last great thing about my pickles it only takes 5 minutes or less of your time to make! They do take a couple of days to ferment on the shelf but it is mostly hands free! Fermented pickle recipe coming soon!
- Dry your clothes out on the line instead of using the dryer.
One income can be hard to manage. I sure hope this helps! I hope that I can keep adding to this list for all of you. Maybe some of you can help? Do you have some good money saving ideas? I feel like I am forgetting some good ones. Feel free to leave a comment with your ideas. 🙂
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to know what you think, Please leave me a comment or a question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂