I call this chocolate toffee dessert, but many people like to call it Christmas crack, and for good reason. This dessert is simply delicious. This is one of my favorite recipes that my mom taught me to make.
I’ve been eating this since I was a kid. I’m so surprised at the ingredients. They are so simple but oh so delicious! It’s very addictive.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1-2 tbsp shortening
- 1 pkg saltines crackers or almond flour crackers for gluten-free recipes
- 1 (16 oz) pkg chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Place butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring very often.
- Grease a baking sheet with shortening.
- Next, spread saltines out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over the saltines. Spread evenly using a spatula. Try to do it quickly because it spreads best when it’s hot.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly, and quickly!
- Put back in the oven for about 1 minute.
- Now, you can use a butter knife or spatula to smooth out the melted chocolate chips. Spread it evenly.
- Allow to cool, and then place in the refrigerator for a couple hours to harden.
- Then cut them into squares or any other shape you desire!
Get creative! Instead of chocolate chips, you can use any flavor! I like dark chocolate but you can use any kind. Once I used butterscotch and chocolate together, so get creative with it if you want!)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 42mgSodium 132mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 0g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
Chocolate Toffee Dessert Recipe Tutorial
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Start by boiling butter and sugar together. Then, simmer for 3 minutes. Stir often. While it is boiling go to the next step…
Grease the pan, and place one layer of saltines on the pan.
Fill up the entire pan. I break crackers to fit in the gaps…but you don’t have to.
Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture of the crackers. Using a spatula spread it out evenly. You’ll have to work quickly because it spread the best when it’s hot!
Once you’ve gotten all the crackers covered, place in oven for 5 minutes.
Quickly sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the crackers…
Place back into the oven for 1 minute…
Use a spatula to smooth over the melted chocolate chips…
This is what it should look like when it is all smoothed out…
Let it cool, then pop it in the fridge to cool for a couple of hours.
Cut them up into squares and serve. If it is very warm, you may want to keep them on ice so they don’t melt.
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!