Looking around the homestead there are a few things that were just laying around in the woods wasting away. Wanting to save money and reuse anything we possibly could, we decided to use an old horse trailer to build our next chicken coop. This Trailer Chicken Coop turned out pretty amazing! Check out the pictures below of the build.
Over the years we’ve really enjoyed raising chickens, ducks, and baby chicks. We adore their amazing eggs, their personalities, and the entertainment they bring to our lives. It was a learning curve for sure and we made mistakes in the beginning. Like that first coop, we got from an online store. That ended up molding within 6 months.
That’s why we decide to build our own chicken coops! It was a really good decision if you ask me. We’ve had them for a couple of years now, and we’re still pretty happy with them!
Trailer Chicken Coop
As you can see in the image below it looked like garbage when we pulled it out of the woods.
That’s Selah our dog, doing a round of inspections. She is the supervisor of course!
It was really, really dirty!
We cleaned it out and knocked out some of the rotten wood!
The tailgate had some rotten wood also, so we removed that too.
It was rusted all over. It really needed a good cleaning and a good coat of primer and paint!!
Below are the images of what it looked like after I pressured washed it. You can actually see a picture of a horse on the front.
The wheels looked really rusted! My husband and I wire brushed them so they would take some primer (this is what we used).
Below you can see the primer and how much better they look!
Moving onto the roof, it’s pretty rusted so it received some primer too. This stuff is made to bond to rust, and force out corrosive air and moisture. Which in turn helps to stop the destruction of the metal via the rust.
Now that the roof is primed and ready to go we will move onto the body.
We added a coat of paint to the roof. White is a good color for a roof, especially if you live somewhere hot like we do! (Florida) White will deflect heat, not absorbs it like a dark color will do. Check out the paint we used here. We used gloss white. Glossy paint is easier to clean up, so that’ s what we chose.
…and finally a coat of red! Here’s the paint we used.
We added some walls and painted the inside a peachy pink, because “hens just wanna have fun”!
Hurricane windows are primed and installed, and eventually painted white to match the roof. BTW – These hurricane windows worked great through hurricane Michael!
Here are the windows CLOSED…Here they are OPEN…
Another view… You can see the hinges pretty well in this image. Here’s the hinges we used.
We painted the trim on the front.
Next up is installing the REMOVABLE roosting bars!
These will be painted eventually. Also, you can see the galvanized wire on the windows…
Trailer Chicken Coop – Back Doors
Then we added the doors on the back, the tailgate can still go up and be latched even with the doors and hardware. It’s still completely mobile if we need it to be.
We also added the little roof on the back, to keep rain from getting in when the doors are open during the daytime…
Now we install the fencing. We use dog kennel fencing. We love it because it’s 6 feet high, easy to move and very durable… We have two of these kits…
Here’s a walkthrough of what it looks like to walk to the coop… Along with the fencing and waterer setup!
I found these heavy-duty hooks at Lowes I believe. Here’s some kinda like it on Amazon. I could find the exact thing on there so you could look at them. We screwed the hooks onto the post and secured the post in the ground, and the water hangs beautifully on there. This is a 3.5-gallon waterer I believe and they are very heavy, but the hooks have no issues holding the weight!!
Let me know what you think about our Trailer Chicken Coop in the comments!
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!