Turmeric has gotten really popular in the past couple of years. Hence, people who suffer from arthritis are reaching for natural foods like turmeric to help calm the inflammation. I made my Turmeric Powder Recipe using Turmeric I bought at Publix.
It’s a spice that comes from the turmeric plant. It’s frequently used in Asian foods. Curry which is a mix of spices uses turmeric, that’s what gives it most of its color. Turmeric has a savory, warm, and bitter taste. It’s used to color mustard, butter, and sometimes even cheese!
Turmeric Powder Recipe
I saw a lot of people were looking for a turmeric powder recipe that doesn’t require boiling. However, boiling is essential to help kill possible bacteria and to help soften the root which will make the drying process faster.
- 1 lb. turmeric root
- 1-2 cups water
- Place turmeric root in a medium saucepan.
- Add just enough water to cover the roots.
- Boil turmeric root for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200ºF.
- Strain out liquid with a fine mesh sieve.
- Lay on a paper towel, and allow to cool and dry for about an hour.
- Slice the turmeric roots thin.
- Lay them on a cookie sheet, and bake for 2 hours.
- Allow them to cool once again.
- Lastly, grind up the dehydrated pieces into a powder. Then, place the powder into a jar.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 24mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 17gSugar 2gProtein 7g
For the most accurate nutritional information, you should calculate the nutritional value of each ingredient yourself. These calculations are provided by a third party and are not expected to be exact. You are solely responsible for ensuring the nutritional information you use is accurate.
More Recipes Using Turmeric Powder
Turmeric has great benefits. For instance, helping with inflammation to other health benefits. These great turmeric recipes can undoubtedly help you find a few ways to use it in some yummy recipes.
Many studies have concluded that a dose of 1 gram per day of turmeric is best. For this reason it may be hard to get enough by food alone. A supplement may be more helpful in getting the daily allowance.
- Golden Milk
- Iced Tea with Turmeric
- Pulled-Pork Curry and Cauliflower Rice with Turmeric
- Turmeric Chicken Noodle Soup
Fun Facts About Turmeric
- The yellow color in curry comes from Turmeric!
- Turmeric also lends it’s great color to mustard!
- Turmeric is not only used to color foods but also makeup.
- Cooking with turmeric is not new, nor is using it medicinally. In India, they’ve cooked and used turmeric medicinally for thousands of years.
- Curcumin is the main ingredient in Turmeric.
- Turmeric is surely great at reducing inflammation and attacking free radicals.
- When people are in pain, sometimes they use turmeric.
- Black pepper certainly aids in the digestion of turmeric. We don’t absorb turmeric very well, but taking black pepper with turmeric will help with that.
- Some people also use turmeric for hay fever, heartburn, thinking, and even memory loss. However, there isn’t much proof to support these uses.
I’m so happy that you visited us today. We’ve got some fun content on social media too! If you have a favorite social media, join us there! Our homesteading community awaits!
I’d love To Know what you think!… Leave me a comment!
Share On Pinterest!