Fermented Pickles Recipe
Make your own crunchy pickles right at home!
Prep Time10 mins
Fermenting Time6 d
Total Time6 d 10 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 6-8 pickling cucumbers Cut off ends. Cut into slices or spears.
- 1/4 tsp pickling Spices if using pint jars split the measurement between the 2 jars.
- 5 % Brine using Himalayan salt & filtered water (enough to fill your jar and leave a 1 inch headspace
- 4 grape leaves oak, cherry, horseradish or other leaf that will provide the tannins necessary to keep the pickles crisp!
- 2 whole sprigs fresh dill
Make a 5% brine using the water and the salt. In a measuring cup pour in the water, mix in the salt until dissolved.
Place cucumbers and dill in the jar/s.
Pour the brine over the cucumbers.
Add the spices.
Add the leaves (1-2 per jar) over top of everything
Add glass weights on top of the grape leaves.
Place the lid on the jar, and put the airlock on.
Ferment for 4-6 days. Then, place in the refrigerator. Serve and enjoy after you've chilled them.
I you see any mold the entire container should be thrown out.
To figure out how to make a brine use this handy dandy salt calculator.